Interested in volunteering as an usher?
- Do you enjoy working with children and the public?
- Would you like to contribute to an extraordinary cultural environment?
- Are you enthusiastic about the arts and award-winning live theatre?
- Would you like to earn FREE tickets to our productions?
- Are you a student looking for a fun way to serve your community?
- Are you a business that is looking for a community involvement opportunity?
Volunteer ushers are a vital part of the Children's Theatre of Charlotte family. Whether seating a classroom of kindergarteners about to enjoy their first live theatre performance or helping a family of six find seats during opening night excitement, ushers ensure that Children's Theatre of Charlotte patrons enjoy the very best experience possible during their time with us.
Ushering is also a great community service opportunity for groups. Volunteers learn what goes into running a theatre while honing their interpersonal, communication and leadership skills. We help keep track of volunteer hours, complete necessary paperwork and help volunteers get the most out of their experience.
Ushers are needed for School Performances, which take place on weekday mornings, and Public Performances, which take place on Friday evenings and Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Ushers should arrive one hour before show times and should expect to remain throughout the entire performance. Ushering is a three to four hour time commitment per performance.
- Watching children and families experience the magic of live theatre!
- Enjoying the performance when not assisting patrons.
- Supporting one of the top youth theatres in the country.
- One complimentary ticket for every three ushering shifts!
We invite middle school students to adults to volunteer
- Parents are invited to bring their children with them to help usher.
- Dress in black and white attire, preferably a white collared shirt and black pants or a skirt
- Seat audience and distribute playbills
- Assist audience members with special needs
- Assist audience to restrooms and quiet rooms as needed during performance
- Understand evacuation procedures
- Ensure theatre is in order after performance
- Help to make Children’s Theatre of Charlotte a wonderful experience